Right in our backyard this week, an amazing project is taking place. The American Trail Running Association has partnered with the Google Maps team to capture 360 degree panoramic “street-view” imagery of the Western States Endurance Run Trail using the Street View Trekker Backpack. The team started Sunday, June 20, 2016 at Squaw Valley where they trekked the first 23 miles of the trail to Duncan Canyon. The distance and locations of subsequent legs depend on supplies, technical issues, volunteers, weather – you name it! This page provides links to additional information about the project, day-by-day Trekker Team reports, photos, and more. The footage will be extensively reviewed and compiled into one vide. It should be available for viewing in August. In the meantime, here is all the “behind the scenes” production information. Again… amazing!
- Detailed Report in Trail Runner Magazine about the Trekker Project
- Trekker Project Page
- Updates on Facebook
- Updates on Twitter
- Day 2, Monday June 20: Due to a temporary equipment failure, the Trekker Team opted for the final 3.5 miles from No Hands Bridge to Placer High School track.
- Day 2 Photos on Facebook
- Day 4, Wednesday June 22: Last Chance to Foresthill (20 miles)
- Day 4 Day 4 GPS Track
- Day 4 YouTube Video
- Day 5, Thursday June 23: Foresthill to Rucky Chucky Near Side River Crossing (16 miles)
- Day 5 Photos
- Day 5 GPS Track
- Day 6, Friday June 24: Rucky Chucky River Crossing Far Side to No Hands Bridge (23 miles… really?)
- Day 6 Photos
- Day 6 GPS Track