Event Start Up Assistance

For those interested in starting an endurance-style event or training program in the Auburn area, this page contains links to permitting agencies like California State Parks (specifically Auburn State Recreation Area), the City of Auburn, and others. This information will also be helpful for those who have established events, who may want to grow them. Also, be sure to check out the Endurance Capital Committee’s comprehensive calendar, where you can see whether or not your new event might have competing events on the same day.

Working with the Auburn State Recreation Area

    • Most events within a State Park held by a non-State Park entity require a “Special Events” permit. Special Events are different from Park Events, which are managed directly by the specific CA State Park.
    • To find the Special Events permit form, visit the CA State Parks website and then the Find a Park link, then the Auburn State Recreation Area page
    • On the right side of this page you will see the category “Special Events”: Auburn State Recreation Area Special Events
      • This page also has a Calendar of permitted events.
      • The special events application form is located at the bottom of this page.
      • We suggest you download the application and then call the office (530-885-4527) for an appointment to discuss your permit. The office location is off of Hwy 49 about a mile from downtown Auburn as you head toward Cool, CA. 501 El Dorado Street
        Auburn, CA 95603 Map

The Endurance Capital Committee communicates occasionally with the Superintendent of the Auburn State Recreation Area, especially regarding various park user groups. We recently had a meeting with him, where we discussed the popularity of the ASRA with these user groups, and the permitting process for events and training programs. He is the first to admit that the permitting process is unwieldy, but is open to discussion about improvements. I would suggest that you first download the application and then call (530-885-4527) and/or stop by the office and speak to the personnel there and tell them your plan.

Another resource is REI. That company sponsors a number of activities in various state parks. Mike mentioned that they use a “concessions” permit, which might be less expensive and less complex than an event permit. You might check with them about how they go about this.

Finally, other endurance event directors are also a resource. Many of these events are posted on the Endurance Capital’s Calendar; race director contact information can usually be accessed though these events’ websites.

Working with the City of Auburn